Bookkeepers or as they are referred to more appropriately in a number of other countries, Accounting Technicians, are an emerging group of paraprofessionals who are becoming a vital link in the provision of accounting services to small to medium businesses.
From a variety of source documentation they prepare financial reports;
- for the preparation and lodgement of Business Activity Statements for compliance with the Goods and Services Tax (GST) regime;
- as a basis for the preparation of business income tax returns; and
- for the management of the business.
They provide advice to businesses about their GST obligations and other tax and legislative obligations relating to GST.
They can be employed in businesses as the primary account keeping resource; function as accounting support staff in larger organisations; or become self employed and contract their services to clients or tax agents/public practice accountants.
There is a world wide network of AAT organisations, the largest dedicated group representing accounting paraprofessionals with in excess of 100,000 members internationally.
AAT Australia is
- An association for paraprofessional accounting technicians, representing members working in all sectors of commerce in Australia.
- A recognised BAS Agent Association under the Tax Agent Services Act 2009.
- Dedicated to supporting members and their employers, through continuing professional education programs; technical information; professional standards; ethical guidelines and more.
- A not-for-profit organisation - our entire financial resources are committed to providing practical and supportive services for our members.